On Sunday I took John and his fiancee Victoria for a short sail. John of course has been sailing on Bonita for years, but for Victoria this was her first ever trip on a sailing boat. I was quite anxious about how it would all work out. I was worried that there might be too much mud on the causeway and either too much or too little wind, but on the day it worked out fine. We had a fine reaching breeze for a few miles out to the Columbine Spit buoy, then John and Victoria tacked the boat back into the river helped by a neap flood tide, and we picked up Bonitas mooring buoy under sail.
So will Victoria find gaffer sailing addictive, and a welcome antidote to the pressures of her high powered day job? Maybe its too early to say.
The picture shows Victoria at the tiller while John relaxes with a cup of tea.

No comments:
Post a Comment